Director of High School Programs (9th & 10th Grade) – Full Time
Mission: REACH Prep provides access to transformative educational experiences that empower underserved, high-achieving students to graduate from top colleges and emerge as the next generation of leaders.
Organization: For nearly 25 years, REACH Prep has helped motivated and talented black and Latino students from underserved communities in Fairfield and Westchester counties and the Bronx gain admission to and thrive in rigorous independent schools. Upon admission to REACH Prep at the end of fourth grade, students benefit from a 12-year educational continuum, including comprehensive academic preparation and enrichment, leadership training, and supplementary individual and family guidance that prepares them to succeed at and graduate from competitive colleges. REACH Prep's model of access to high-quality education along with sustained, extensive and long-term support achieves college success rates that defy trends and national statistics. Approximately 250 students are served each year. The organization just completed a robust strategic planning process that will inform and guide its scope of work through 2022.
REACH Prep is easily accessible for those traveling from New York City or New Haven. Our office is conveniently located in downtown Stamford near Harbor Point and within a short walking distance from Stamford’s Metro North Station.
Summary: The Director of High School Programs (9th & 10th Grade) will primarily focus on providing ongoing guidance, support and opportunities to REACH Prep Scholars during the 9th and 10th grades and respective summers. REACH Prep seeks a highly dedicated, enthusiastic, motivated and organized individual who will work in conjunction with the Director of Education and the Director of College Guidance & High School Programs (11th and 12th grade). This position will serve as a collaborative member of a small and dedicated team and will report to the Chief Executive Officer. REACH Prep seeks a candidate who is eager to join an organization focused on delivering the highest quality of programming and support for its Scholars.
• Oversee all 9th & 10th grade student support and guidance: Monitor academic performance of 9th and 10th grade students, review report cards, cultivate and sustain relationships with and serve as liaison to schools and parents, and provide targeted, ongoing support to help students thrive academically and socially during these critical years. Responsible for maintaining student records (including Salesforce) and evaluating student progress. Develop content for and execute class meetings.
• Coordinate and facilitate summer enrichment opportunities: Manage the application process for summer programs for 9th and 10th grade high school students, cultivate and maintain strong relationships with strategic summer partners, assist students and families with summer program logistics, conduct assessments of summer opportunity experiences, and create statistical reports.
• Manage transition to high school programming: Coordinate and direct program efforts geared toward helping 9th grade students successfully transition and adjust to high school expectations.
• Direct REACH Prep’s Community Service Program: Develop and manage a community service program for all high school students. Monitor and track student progress and organize periodic community service events.
• Manage the REACH Prep Parents’ Association: Oversee approximately five Parents’ Association meetings per year, develop meeting agendas and related materials, and work with volunteer parents.
• Bachelor of Arts or Bachelors of Science degree required, Master’s degree a plus
• Minimum three years of full-time and related work experience. Demonstrated interest in educational access and/or college success work is highly desired.
• Exceptional attention to detail, skilled at synthesizing and utilizing student data, and the ability to take initiative
• Student advising, project management or teaching experience are highly desired
• Experience working with underserved or historically underrepresented students, preferably high school students
• Excellent communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Applicants must be excellent writers and comfortable speaking publicly.
• Ability to and interest in cultivating and maintaining strong relationships with students, parents, school administrators, tutors, and summer program partners
• Demonstrate sound judgement, unquestionable integrity and a commitment to maintaining high expectations for all students
• Strong interpersonal skills and a proven record of working in environments and communities with people from diverse backgrounds (socio-economic, cultural, ethnic, and educational)
• This position requires availability to work Saturdays and evenings as determined by the schedule
• Fluency in Spanish is highly desired
• Valid driver’s license and ability to travel to visit students at their schools
Start Date: September/October 2018
Salary: REACH Prep offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to Rosa Ortiz, Director of Administration and Finance, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately. No phone calls, please. REACH Prep can respond only to those candidates who will receive an interview.
REACH Prep is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.